Isobar is seeking Lead Systems Engineers who enjoy the challenge of building automated solutions for continuous delivery of large-scale, highly available web applications. The ideal candidate must have experience working in a DevOps model playing an active role with software developers in building solutions. Past experience as a software developer is a plus, but not a core job responsibility. Instead, an understanding of software development processes, tools, and operations are the focus.
Regular tasks also include performance and capacity monitoring, resolving trouble tickets, collaborating with and escalating issues to third-level support (development), and managing code promotion processes between environments.
Candidates should possess effective written and verbal communication skills and be willing to travel.
*Please note that all candidates must be willing to obtain a secret level security clearance for this position.
- Configure and manage development, QA, and staging and production environments hosted in various cloud environments (Azure, Amazon) or client hosting centers
- Manage the promotion of code between environments using current techniques and tooling for infrastructure, deployment and test automation
- Collaborate with client and internal development teams to plan and support upcoming releases, and implement operational enhancements to improve reliability and scalability
- Anticipate operational issues before code reaches production, including advising and supporting development teams with product enhancements and design changes, as well as specifying and implementing new tools and processes prior to production launches
- Monitor production system performance, uptime and daily operations, ranging from traditional system measures to business-specific transactional monitoring for nightly jobs and ad-hoc review of logs
- Develop capacity plans for future infrastructure needs and scale server environments to implement those plans
- Identify and implement opportunities for automating existing processes in order to streamline operations and support functions
- Manage server and application patches for routine upkeep and vulnerabilities
- Provide rotational 24x7 on-call support for tier-1-supported environments entailing site-down service restoration
- Stay current of trends and innovations in the virtual hosting and management space, bringing opportunities for improvement to the technical teams and leading their implementation
- Manage a small team of junior resources on a project thread
- Ensure deliverables are client‐ready, high quality and can easily be turned into templates and standards for other Isobar engagements
- Work in lock‐step with the application team to get priorities in order, clearing bottlenecks and automating behind the scenes
- Mastery of DevOps tools using modern virtualized and cloud infrastructure setups
- 6 years of experience developing web applications, or designing and administering the systems that support them
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing and administering cloud hosting environments
- Minimum 3 years of experience with infrastructure automation with Amazon or Azure
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a Enterprise Application Administrator
- Minimum 3 years of experience scripting common languages such as Bash, Python or PowerShell
- Minimum 1 year of experience run Docker applications in either a development environment or production.
- Master working with code management and promotion toolsets, including source code control and continuous integration
- Master at running Linux or Windows in real-world production environments, preferably at scale
- Ability to independently perform problem determination and root-cause analysis to maximize availability and meet Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Knowledge of and experience with promotion strategies for applications between different development and production environments
- Experience performing needs assessments, design, application testing and integration, production cutover, change management and capacity planning
- Software development experience
- Experience with Active Directory
- Experience with a number of widely-available development and administrative tools, languages, databases, and frameworks such as Docker, JBoss, Tomcat, WebLogic, CloudFormation, Ansible, ARM, Apache, Nginx, Ruby, Python, Git, SVN, etc.