Isobar is a global digital agency that delivers experience-led transformations powered by creativity. We have redefined the way consumers experience music through emerging technology with the creation of Aeronaut. We have taken six disparate brands and brought them under one house through the transformation of Zwilling. We have strategized, built and executed the digital reinvention of Enterprise, Alamo + National. And we have connected families to LAIKA’s Missing Link characters through the power of voice. Isobar has a longstanding history of solving complex business problems. We have deep expertise in UX, creative, technology and optimization and are able to take on the toughest problems because of it. Sound like something you want to be a part of?
Isobar is looking for a Freelance Back-End Architect who can lead the technical work stream through all phases of an engagement, including strategy, conceptual design, detailed design, implementation, testing, production deployment, maintenance, and optimization. Back-End Architect responsibilities include defining, assembling, and presenting all technical deliverables and work products.
Back-End Architects are also responsible for managing a technical team through the design, implementation, and testing of the complete enterprise solution, and will typically coordinate with other discipline leaders such as creative, UX, or QA. Candidates must be comfortable leading technical workshops and meetings, as well as presenting and defending analysis findings to key stakeholders.
At Isobar, Back-End Architects must be experts in enterprise solution architecture definition, object-oriented design, and object-oriented programming. They must also be proficient with standard development tools, including build systems, continuous integration systems, unit and integration testing, as well as popular IDEs such as Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA. Proficiency with open source frameworks such as Hibernate/JPA and Spring is required.
Candidates must have a proven track record delivering enterprise solutions. They must have IT consulting experience, be familiar with a team approach to execution, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be willing to travel.
- Work with the client’s business, marketing, and IT departments to define an enterprise-wide technology approach that encompasses multiple systems and various integration points
- Act as technical lead on complex engagements that contain multiple threads of development
- Provide strategic guidance and technical oversight during an engagement
- Provide strong support to the efforts of the technology discipline at Isobar
- Lead product selection initiatives
- Estimate time frames and quality and quantity of resources required to successfully implement projects
- Manage a team of developers, assisting with hands-on coding where necessary
- Assist / mentor junior developers
- In addition to billable client work, assist with business development opportunities, including RFP responses, architecture assessments, and technical qualifications
- Be capable of driving the technical aspects of sales initiatives
Required Experience / Skills
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or a related field
- Must have 8+ years of technical experience in systems integration / development
- Extensive knowledge of one or more of the following application development platforms: Java / Java EE, .NET, NodeJS, Python, PHP
- Knowledge of a cloud hosting platform (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google, OpenShift, Rackspace)
- Experience with DevOps best practices and associated automation tooling
- Extensive knowledge of build systems for at least one of the major application development platforms (e.g., Gradle, Maven, MSBuild, Phing, Rails)
- Extensive experience with software design fundamentals and design patterns
- Experience with continuous integration and / or continuous deployment (e.g., Bamboo, Cruise Control, Jenkins)
- Strong enterprise integration experience
- Computer networking
- Unix fundamentals
- Detailed understanding of traditional waterfall and agile software development methodologies (e.g., Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, Rational Unified Process, Lean Software Development)
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture and Web Services Architecture
- Experience with open source frameworks (e.g., Spring, Hibernate, JPA, ASP.NET MVC)
- Experience with templating engines (e.g., Velocity, FreeMarker, Thymeleaf, Mustache, Smarty, Razor)
- Knowledge of Internet security (e.g., firewalls, encryption, hashing)
- Strong experience in architecting secure applications
- Significant experience with tuning and refactoring code, and assessing the impact of architectural decisions on performance and scalability
- Experience with application servers and packages from major vendors (e.g., IBM WebSphere, Oracle WebLogic, IIS, JBoss EAP, Apache Tomcat)
- Experience with relational database modeling, advanced SQL queries / procedures, and object-relational mapping frameworks
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Couchbase)
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Experience creating presentations and technical design documents
Nice to Have
- Experience in multiple industries, including financial services, insurance, media, healthcare, and eCommerce
- Experience with a major content management package (e.g., Sitecore, Adobe Experience Manager, Drupal)
- Experience with major search vendors (e.g., Google, Solr / Lucene, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with major analytics packages (e.g., Adobe Analytics, Google)
- Knowledge of “Big Data” frameworks and tools (e.g., Hadoop / HDFS, Hive, Spark, Pig)
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.